Hello! My name is Sophie.
I’m a pilates teacher with a very big love for supporting mothers and their bodies throughout pregnancy and after birth. I’m also a mama of two little, thoughtful and energetic humans.
I hold other qualifications as well. As a shiatsu therapist,
a newborn mothers postpartum professional (a postpartum doula)
and previously, once upon a time, I was a contemporary dancer.
Movement and Bodywork have always been woven through my life.
I love helping bodies learn, integrate and play with pathways of healthy, happy movement.
I love helping women befriend their body with kindness and reverence.
My mothering journey began in 2012 with the birth of my son. Since then, the profound impact that pregnancy, birth and early mothering have on how a woman’s body feels, moves and functions and how these impact her whole life have deeply affected me.
I’ve had my own journey of recovery and healing including adventures with pelvic girdle pain (a really sore pelvis) pelvic floor dysfunction (a rather unreliable Pelvic Floor) adrenal fatigue (complete and utter exhaustion). These debilitating conditions have illustrated to me how women really could benefit from much more support and education on how to be healthy and strong for the everyday, never ending demands of motherhood.
Some fundamental and simple elements help immensely with recovering from birth and also thriving within the motherlife. Too often these are neglected.
- Embracing support.
- Great nutrition.
- Rest, rest and more rest.
- Nurturing bodywork.
- Simple restorative and rehabilitative movement, or exercise.
But its soooo hard, to prioritise your own health as a mother (I know, breastfeeding all of the time, sick children, nappy explosions), as a woman (there’s all the house work, perhaps your paid work, that mental load, all of the socks under the sofa), as a human (yes, you absolutely do need time to rest, recuperate and restore your health).
Pregnancy and birth place extreme demands on your physicality.
Even if your birth was everything you had hoped, your muscles, ligaments, bones were still all stretched out, these take time to heal and repair. Especially if your birth was challenging, difficult, perhaps devastating, your body needs love and attention, time, bodywork, movement retraining and really good nutrition to recover.
I cannot emphasise enough how women’s bodies deserve and need support to heal.
If you heal well, perhaps you may find more energy, more strength, more calm. You might even care better for your children, in a way that allows you to feel content. Likely you will stand in the heart of your family feeling strong and centred and whole as a Person.
Bearing Wonder, shall be where all my learning and daydreaming may be collected, sorted and shared, and will chronicle the process of recuperation and transformation in becoming a Mother.
We only get one body. One life.
Restore her, heal her, cherish her .
“Sophie, I can’t imagine what my postpartum experience would have been like without you, so thank you for your beautiful support – your wisdom and kindness and gentleness, as well as your cooking and massage and all your other skills! I felt so loved and supported and I think it has set me up for motherhood in the most perfect way. I feel nourished, I understand how I need to rest, I feel more confident as a mother.”
– Mama Damaris
Sophie is a qualified postpartum doula, pilates instructor, shiatsu therapist, and mother of two young children. She is passionate about supporting women and their bodies throughout the birthing years and is especially keen on providing nurturing bodywork and restorative movement to help women befriend and restore their mama body with kindness and respect. Sophie teaches mother centred pilates in Melbourne and online, and attends women in their home after the birth of their beautiful baby as a postpartum doula and shiatsu therapist.
Training and Qualifications:
- Trauma-Informed Practice for birth professionals with Nisha Gill, 2020
- Trauma-Informed Practice for bodyworkers with Nisha Gill, 2019
- Optimal Maternal Positioning workshop with Ginny Phang, 2019
- Orgasmic Birth workshop with Debora Pascali-Bonaro, 2019
- Pregnancy Corrective Exercise Specialist; coreexercisesolutions.com, 2019,
- Holding Space for Pregnancy Loss 15 hr online training; The Institute for the Study of Birth, Breath and Death 2018.
- Postpartum Corrective Exercise Specialist; coreexercisesolutions.com 2018.
- Advanced CPD in Modern Postnatal assessment, Core Restore and Functional Exercise Programming; burrelleducation.com 2018.
- Newborn Mother Postpartum Professional; newbornmothers.com 2017.
- Advanced CPD in Modern Functional Pregnancy Exercise Programing; burrelleducation.com 2017.
- Spinning Babies Workshop; Ginny Phang-Davey, fourtrimesters.com 2017.
- Creative Ways of Making Space for the Baby, Part 1; birthwork.com 2017.
- Advanced Diploma in Professional Pilates Instruction, National Pilates Training 2015.
- Extraordinary Vessels Shiatsu for Pregnancy & Birth; Suzanne Yates, wellmother.org 2014.
- Diploma in Shiatsu and Oriental Therapies; Australian Shiatsu College 2009.
- Pilates Matwork Certificate, Pilates Foundation UK 2005, Cert IV 2008, Diploma in Professional Pilates Instruction Pilates International Training Centre 2009.
- BA in Dance with Honours (WAAPA), 2001.